« Home | easing into saturday » | it's in the way that you fly » | mr.trebek's perfect from now on » | i had six white russians tonight, and two of them ... » | the colorful hills » | new truckers song for christmas » | top 10 tracks of 2005 » | finding meaning in physics » | zombie. whiskey. rock. » | new order in athens » 

Sunday, February 19, 2006 

just listen



Tortoise - TNT
Crazy Horse - Look at All the Things
My Morning Jacket - I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man

Post-rock can a complex music yet Tortoise transmogrifies any such tension into a lulling stilness on "TNT" from the 1998 album of the same name. Purchase TNT.

Pandora led me to theis Crazy Horse track a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for songs that were "similar" to Dire Straits' "Wild West End." The song is from their first album and showcases the band's talents when they didn't have Neil Young at the helm and remain musically (albeit not commercially) successful. Purchase Crazy Horse (1971).

I first heard My Morning Jacket do this Prince cover in Athens last summer while I was studying for the Bar Exam. The 40 watt club was electrified that night and My Morning Jacket has continued to have a knack for finding really interesting songs to cover, like Erykah Badu's "Tyrone" and The Zombies' "Time of the Season." This version comes from the Live at Bonnaroo 2005 series. Purchase the show here.

Links to this post

Create a Link